Friday, November 19, 2010

Time of Napoleon

The period of time when France was brought under the leadership of Napoleon Bonaparte was crucial for my plans of political organization being put into action. Therefore, I formed an alliance with Bonaparte who had a mass amount of authority at the time. Bonaparte complied to work with me under the strict condition that a third member, Ducos, be added. I could not afford to retire from my job during this important phase. On August 2, 1802, the French Senate recognized Napoleon as Consul for Life and a new constitution adopted two days later accepted that Napoleon had the authority to nominate the successor to this position. When Napoleon returned to power in 1815, he named me to the Chamber of Peers. It was under these circumstances that Napoleon Bonaparte, as First Consul, emerged as the most dominant of the three Consuls in a system of government where elected representatives had limited authority in comparison to the more controlling powers executed by the Consuls. In May 1804 he was then accepted as the hereditary Emperor of the French Republic. Under the Napoleonic Empire, I became a senator and it is in this role that I defended Napoleon’s suppression of the more radical Jacobin groups. From the beginning, I never would’ve thought that the one nation that I tried to improve will go against one of its chief supporters. After Napoleon achieved the highest amount of glory he could receive, he conveniently broke off his connection with Ducos and I. More misfortune was followed after the restoration of the Bourbon monarchy. I was politically unwelcome in France by the mass population and was sentenced to live in exile in Brussels.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! So you are Abbe Sieyes! I may not agree with some of your ideology but I some what respect you for your alliance with Napoleon. Napoleon was an admirable leader, though I did not hear of his later acts. He became a leader in a time of anarchy (my humble opinion) and even letpeople unwanted (such as I) back to our homeland. I must say though that I sympathize with you.I felt the same unwelcome in France as you did when I failed to fix the financial crisis. Indeed, I was even exiled by a Bourbon monarch, the infamous King Louis XVI. Our ideologies differ, but our respect for Napoleon and our misfortunes wrougt from Bourbon monarchs give us a connection.

    -Charles Alexandre de Calonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Napoleon! How great were you, to have made France such a powerful country and glorify it with all your will. I think it is a smart idea to form an alliance with Napoleon. He is, afterall the most powerful man in France, or possible Europe! But I am sorry it did not turn out like you expected...I can surely tell you all about unexpected events...

    ~Joseph-Ignace Guillotin

    ReplyDelete