Thursday, November 18, 2010

Directory's Rule

After the execution of Robespierre, I took up the role of reemerging as an important political player during the constitutional debates that followed. In 1795, I went on a political mission to The Hague, and drew up a treaty between the French and Batavian republics. I highly resented the constitution of 1795, and therefore refused to serve as a Director of the Republic. Instead I began to plot the overthrow of the Directory and their institutions. In September 1797 three directors jousted two other directors who were suspected to be in favor of a restoration of the old monarchy and an assumed negotiated treaty. In May 1798, elections turned in a large number of radical Jacobin deputies therefore the Directors decided to ignore the election results. One year later, the relatively radical leanings of the French legislature led to the forced resignation of three Directors. Through my determination, I closed down the once revived Jacobin Club and made overtures to General Joubert for a coup d'état. However my success was undermined by the death of Joubert at the Battle of Novi and the return of Bonaparte from Egypt. This led to only one solution which was to come into terms with Napoleon. After the coup d'état of Brumaire, I produced the perfect constitution only to have it completely rewritten by Bonaparte who thereby achieved a coup d'état. My social status rose and soon enough I was elected to become Director of France in replacement of Jean-Francois Rewbell in May 1799.

No comments:

Post a Comment